Pages

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ultimate Peace


It turns out Percocet really limits your critical analysis skills.  Fortunately for this blog, my knee on the mend (making me drug free) but I won’t be cleared for physical activity for another month or two.  This means I will have plenty of time to write while I am not running around.  I’ve got a few article ideas in the works and am hoping to get one up shortly.  In the mean time I wanted to give a quick shout out to Ultimate Peace and the Israeli national girls team at the 2012 World Junior Ultimate Championships. 

Ultimate Peace has spent the last three years working throughout the Middle East to promote peace through sports.  Ultimate, for those unfamiliar with the sport, doesn’t have any referees.  All fouls are called by the players on the field.  It is then up to the players involved to rectify the situation.  This unique aspect of the sport, combined with the need to pass the disc between players to score, makes ultimate the ideal sport to teach kids teamwork and conflict resolution skills. 

As a result of Ultimate Peace’s work, at the 2012 World Junior Ultimate Championships in Dublin, Ireland, Team Israel was composed of 10 Jewish and six Arab girls.  Traditionally teams representing Israel in international competition have been predominantly Jewish.  Here is an article to learn more

1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is awesome! I had no idea about Ultimate Peace...Thanks for the enlightenment...

    ReplyDelete